Sunday, September 22, 2013

Scrappy Sewing and a Finish

9 Patch Swap is finished! Measuring in at 60.5" x 72.5" makes this by far the biggest top I have quilted myself... and while it wasn't THAT horrible to do I'm very happy to mark it DONE! as one of my goals for Q3.

I used royal blue Connecting Threads Essential thread to match the backing and I'm glad I decided to use it as top thread too. I like the look of the grid quilting to separate some of the lighter fabrics.

These 12" finished blocks were from a swap on the HGTV Quilting Forum several years ago. We were to use dark blue centers, dark/medium values on the outer corners and lights in between. It's always fun to see the mix of fabrics in swapped blocks. I had sewn the top together immediately after getting the blocks back... and then it waited.
I love this backing fabric and remember buying it on a trip to Minneapolis/St. Paul with my Mom. It's a brushed cotton and is very cozy. I machine sewed the binding so it will stand up to many washings.
After a wash to crinkle it up nicely I'm going to put in my car to use at outdoor sporting events. Too bad I'm about 5 years too late to bundle up in it to watch my daughter run track in those chilly April outdoor meets!
Last Sunday I posted the 1st of these 2 pictures on the blog of the UFO I've been using as my leader/ender project. I did go ahead this week and flip every other block on my design wall to put the dark corners and light corners together.
Making blocks with HSTs is so much fun... I just love playing around with layouts! Which one do you prefer? While I like them both I have a definite favorite but I'm curious to get some other opinions. I'll post again about this quilt next Sunday and share your feedback.

I'm linking up to Scrap Basket Sunday@Kim's Big Quilting AdventureDesign Wall Monday@Patchwork Times and Building Blocks Tuesday@Quilter in the Closet.
September Finishes

21 comments:

  1. Wow - that's really cool both ways :) I *think*, at this moment, the one on the left is my favorite. That'd probably be different 6 hours from now. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how a block can be used for different designs! Such fun. Both are pretty although I like the one on the left the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear you have had good luck with Connecting Threads! Their prices are great and the selection is good, I have been thinking about boosting my thread supply with them! Beautiful quilt finish!

    For the HST, I like the one on the right...it is a little different! {But both are beautiful!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the one on the right. I tend to love plaid and argyle and that is reminiscent of both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of those layouts look really good. But I think I prefer the left side one. And that blue backing is great on your 9 patch quilt.

    My football and track quilt (while watching my own kids and nieces and nephews) was a corduroy log cabin quilt that had a flannel backing. It is was made in 1972 by a relative for my husband's high school graduation. It is so heavy, but 40 years later is still traveling in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both are so pretty, but I think the one on the left has more movement. I'm curious to see which you pick, but you can't make a mistake with either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your 9-patch quilt, and the backing fabric on it is fabulous!
    Of your HST layouts, I prefer the one on the left, although book look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dark quilting on your 9 patch is gorgeous - it really shows your beautiful, straight lines. Of your HST quilt, I am definitely leaning left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finish! It's great to have a quilt you can take along with you and keep in the car. I think I need one of those!

    I think I prefer your new layout of the HSTs. It creates more of a secondary pattern. The pinwheels disappear to be replaced, to some extent, by stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the one on the right - it has more definition to it, the darks and lights more clearly standing out from each other. How funny, that I had decided awhile ago to do something with HSTs, and I pulled a bunch of purples, greens and neutrals to play around with. Of course, the fabric is sitting in a pile, untouched, because I have too many other projects I'm working on. But that's how it goes. And I love the nice straight line quilting on your finished quilt. I am pretty new to machine quilting, and not good at fmq, so I stick with straight lines as much as possible. It has a solid, classic look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I knew how to make quilts. I would love to be able to snuggle up on the couch in a handmade blanket. You have a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finish Deb. That is a large quilt to wrestle but it looks great. I think I prefer the new layout with the darks and lights together.
    xo jan@sewandsowfarm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the new layout. It creates a secondary pattern. Love the colour combos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for finishing! I have a scrappy trip of donated blocks to put together. You did a nice job of quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on finishing your lovely 9 patch! Super job on the straight line quilting. About the HST's... I like the design on the left best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your nine patch! The way you quilted it is perfect. Your HST designs are both nice, but I think I prefer the one on the left. What is your preferred method for making a lot of HST?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a great job on your finished quilt. I would chose the layout on the right -- but might change my mind tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The straight line quilting looks very nice with the nine patches. I bet the brushed cotton backing is cozy.

    I can't decide between the two--I like the movement of the pinwheels--but also like the secondary pattern on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the second one with the dark diamonds xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The biggest quilt I've done on my machine is 72" x 90". The bigger quilts are so heavy to drag through the machine, so, well done! I like this pretty nine-patch! It will be a great car quilt. Congrats on another great finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    P.S. I like the HST layout with the dark corners together (the option on the right). Such pretty colors and I love the sub-pattern that it makes with the darks together.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.