Tuesday, September 24, 2013

One Stalled Project Finished

Earlier in the month I blogged about 4 Stalled Projects that are kind of dragging me down. Recently I read this quote on another quilter's blog (I wish I could recall exactly where) and it resonated with me.

“Nothing [is] so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.” 
–William James


I could not agree more! All UFOs are Stalled Projects when you think about it... but these are The Stalled of The Stalled or Stalled x2. The Worst of The Worst! I have decided that I have GOT to finish these Stalled Projects pronto. I'm just plain tired of them hanging on... and on... and on.

Easter Stacked Coins is a UFO that I wasn't feeling the love for anymore. I decided to scale it down from a larger quilt into a Project Linus size (about 48" by 60") by trimming the coins which were already pieced into a smaller top.

I had fun with the quilting! After doing the grid quilting along the edges of the stacked coins I debated doing random vertical lines, serpentine stitched lines or something else... which turned into the diamond quilting.  I shut down my Inner Perfectionist by doing these freehand instead of marking the lines and I really like the result. The white Aurifil sinks into the top and almost looks like invisible thread.
I had an odd number of coins so I alternated each row just to make it interesting. Then I did some rows of 1.5" spaced lines to finish the borders.
I pieced together the leftover coins and a few scraps to make the pieced backing. I can't remember ever using the background fabric to bind the quilt but it just seemed to work here.
One Stalled Project down... 3 to go! Easter Stacked Coins has been hanging around on my Q1, Q2 and Q3 Goals so I am really happy to mark it DONE! at last.

I'm linking up to Freemotion by the River.
September Finishes

15 comments:

  1. It really looks like a beautiful quilt and scaling it down was the perfect thing to do! Good luck with the other 3. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, hey!! It's so pretty and cheery. :) Even the damselfly likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coins quilt is so pretty--and done!! I have just come to a screeching halt on my Sea Glass--it all of a sudden looks totally BLAH to me...does this happen to you ever??
    A whole lotta sewin' and then--yuckies!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty quilt! Some child is going to love cuddling in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a great quilt to donate. It seems the dragonfly likes it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Project Linus will love getting this cute quilt to pass along to some deserving kiddo. Love those Xs you added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah - I am stalled on a project that I don't love too, but just sewing the binding on now - will be so happy to have finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very pretty -- love that yellow sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey hey hey and another one bites the dust, and another one's done, and another one's done, another one bites the dust!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love it! Such pretty colors. And way to make a hanger oner into a lovely gift for someone in need. I like your quilting a lot (diamonds are a favorite of mine). Congrats on getting 'er done! And thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that quote -- so true!

    I think your Easter Stacked Coins quilt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.