Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Bunch of Backings

I've got 8 flimsies on my Q3 Goals List that are clamoring for my attention. How many of these can I sandwich, quilt and bind before the end of September?
Row 1: Easter Stacked Coins, 9 Patch Swap, Christmas Fantasy, Puppy Baby Quilt
Row 2: ABC Swap, Minnesota Hot Dish, Thimbleberries Jacob's Ladder, Four Patch & Friends

The good news is that 3 (Christmas Fantasy, Minnesota Hot Dish and Four Patch & Friends) of the 8 are being mailed out for professional quilting so all I need to do with them is make some backings. Minnesota Hot Dish is going on the wall in our bedroom so I'm using wide muslin for an easy solution and I've got some fabric from my stash that needs to be seamed for Four Patch & Friends.

I talked to my quilter yesterday about using another UFO for a backing on Christmas Fantasy and she said "no problem!". This rail fence top is from an online swap years ago on the HGTV Quilting Forum. It falls into the category of Like It, Don't Love It for me. Between other UFOs and fabrics in my stash I have lots of Christmas projects to look forward to.
But check this out...
I was amazed when I laid them out this morning to see how well they fit! Let's just say I DO LOVE it as a backing. I'm going to add a wide border to give my quilter the extra room she needs to load it on her frame and I'll be getting a 2 for 1 UFO finish when it comes back for binding later in the fall. What could be better than that?

So... 3 to mail and 5 for me to quilt. I've decided to tackle the biggest one first which is 9 Patch Swap so I can get used to handling a larger top on Mr. Juki before I start working on Thimbleberries Jacob's Ladder. I bought this cute "Up North" fabric shortly after I pieced the swap blocks together. This will make a nice quilt to keep in my car for use at fall & spring outdoor events.
Call me crazy - but I'm thinking I can get all 5 done in the next 15 days! I'm going to get the backings made, make a pile of 5 sandwiches and load up a bunch of bobbins this afternoon.

I'm linking up to Freemotion by the River.

13 comments:

  1. Okay. You're crazy! 5 in the next 15 days! You do have some lovely UFO's though. I wish you the greatest success in accomplishing the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put the coffee on, you're gonna need it! No laundry, dishes, or cooked meals. You'd better squeeze in a bath or two!...Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can do it! The binding if done by hand would take awhile but if you are machine finishing the binding I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, good luck!! I love the idea of using another UFO as a backing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 2 for 1 plan is very clever. That is a great use of a quilt that you only like a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 2 for 1 solution and what a great challenge you have set for yourself, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those quilts done in 15 days is pretty amazing. I too like your 2 for 1. Hmmm maybe I should go take a look ar some of my flimsies to see if they could work together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I'm thinking at least four! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are sooo ambitious! You go girl! I'm inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with all that quilting! I like your idea of using the post and rail for a backing. It works well for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flimsies! Good luck with getting them finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you can make it and how neat to use the one as the backing...a two for one! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo! Big scary goals but I'm sure you can pull it off,

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.