Thursday, September 5, 2013

Flimsy x2

Easter Stacked Coins made it to flimsy stage yesterday and while I was taking pictures I realized I hadn't shown Pandora's Box in Teal on the blog yet either so I have 2 flimsies to show off today.

These photos of Easter Stacked Coins are so much more accurate than my previous indoor photos... pastels seem to be rather challenging to take pictures of. This top is a slimmed down version of a quilt from the book "Open Up a Can of Worms" by Debbie Caffrey. I don't know if I'm liking this one more now because it looks prettier outside or just because I've finally done something with it!
I love the ballet slippers and the cute patchwork fabric below it. Although I've been calling this an Easter quilt it is really due to the color palette as very few of the fabrics are Easter prints. You can see a hint of jelly bean fabric at the bottom.
Pandora's Box in Teal finally got borders attached last weekend and is ready for quilting later this fall. This quilt is from the book "Jelly Roll Quilts" by Pam & Nicky Lintott. I just love the gorgeous shades of teal in this top!
The chocolate brown in the border makes the dark brown in the blocks almost photograph as black... in person it matches up better. I wish I had purchased more of that border fabric because it's such a fun print.
The hangers in my UFO Closet are starting to fill up nicely with tops ready for quilting - 18 of my 50 remaining UFOs are now flimsies. I've got a few more in mind to get to that stage before I shift gears into "Quilting Season".

Speaking of quilting, here is a picture of my interim quilting assistant J-Meow testing a roll of batting in my closet last weekend. He is a cat who loves to chill on the highest object he can find. It looks like he might be telling me to quilt Arkansas Crossing soon.
After school tonight our son and I head down to Minneapolis to visit college #2 tomorrow. It's pretty rare for just the two of us to go on an overnight trip so I'm looking forward to it. Not to mention that our hotel is right across the freeway from IKEA... hmm I wonder how that happened?

6 comments:

  1. We're going to the cities the end of September and I told hubby IKEA was on my list of destinations to visit. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful quilts and a cat! He looks like my kitty...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stacked coins quilt is really nice. Maybe you would like to use it on a table. Especially like the teal and brown quilt. Keep up the good work! You are making great progress. Thanks for the nudge. I managed to get two quilts bound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy college visit #2. The U of M was my first choice when headed to college with plans to be a Home Ec teacher. Then I transferred to South Dakota State and the next year I changed my major. Just couldn't make up my mind. Gophers and Jackrabbits - guess I am a prairie product for sure.

    You have such a good sense of color with your quilts. I think that is a talent to be admired. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to color. I stay in my comfort zone most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think to stacked coin quilt os really pretty -- a lovely blend of gelato colours! The border on your Pandora's Box quit is fabulous -- it lifts the quilt to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I have not visited for a while and went all the way back to Aug 30th.
    What a bunch of great tops you are finishing, it was fun to see them all. Keep up the good work ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.