Saturday, September 28, 2013

Oops... I Did it Again

It has been a week of highs and lows in my quilting room and just to keep it real this was yesterday's "You have GOT to be KIDDING me!!!" moment. Those might not have been my exact words!
I have a somewhat irrational fear of marking quilts from reading too many stories about not being able to remove the marks later. On my Thimbleberries Jacob's Ladder quilt I am going follow the diagonal lines of the ladders and echo that in the middle sections so I need to do some marking. 

With this in mind I started using this red Frixion pen a week ago to mark binding joins, the block intersections on yesterday's Four Patch & Friends quilt and other unseen areas. Every time my iron magically erased it while pressing I gained a little confidence. On this top I've tested it on the background in a seam allowance several times. So I'm ready to mark (and I'm not worried about it coming back in sub zero temps if you've read about that). If my family room ever experiences sub zero temps I've got a much bigger problem!
I come to study this block wondering what happened to that lovely chain of background squares to quilt along to. Arrgh!

Unlike the day before, I just couldn't pull out Mr. Ripper and fix it on the spot. I took the day off so to speak. But today I am going to remove the borders in that corner and fix it GOOD! I am not going to let this quilt go back to the stalled pile again.

On a much happier note - I have a winner from my Year of Blogging giveaway.
Who is:
Ironically Melissa emailed back that her sewing machine table lamp had broken this week! So there was some good kharma yesterday after all. Congratulations to Melissa and thanks to everyone who left me such wonderful comments on Monday!

12 comments:

  1. Yes, Arggg! It is such a disappointment to be happily piecing along and then realize, several steps later, as always, that a misplacement has occurred. Glad to hear you are determined to get it fixed and keep on going! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the frixion pen. I did buy a couple and have yet to use one on a quilt. Also Congratulations to Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing that we can miss those blocks turned wrong. I've done this too. But it is good that it is close to a border, so it will be easy to fix. Just annoying! It's a really pretty quilt so I can't wait to see the quilting done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Melissa. That lamp was definitely meant to go to her sewing room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there....only I was finished when I found it! Looks great and will finish up beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like your September list is almost complete. Great job. I've had things turn up topsy turvy that I didn't notice until I had half the quilting finished, so lucky you to see it now. You'll be glad you fixed it. Still is a bummer to pull out the grimm ripper, but sometimes it happens. Happy Weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look several times before I noticed it...but once I did, I see what you'll be doing with your seam ripper. Oh well..every quilt has a story! You'll be so happy once it's fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain....my seam ripper has been getting a work out lately too while I have been piecing blocks. Thank goodness the turned blocks are near the border where you can get at them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could NOT see what you were talking about at first, but then the flipping four-patches jumped out at me! Good for you for spotting them and taming them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no!! lol (but it's not funny at all when it's happening) I'd be the same way - my words would not be pretty-sounding and I've have to step away from it until the next day, or maybe until after dinner while I've got a happy full belly and a nice show in the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Thanks for keeping it real! It's good to know we all have days where things don't go according to plan!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.