Sunday, September 1, 2013

8 Easy Seams

Earlier in the summer I was wondering what it is about attaching borders that makes me stall on a quilting project. Considering all of the work that goes into piecing the blocks, deciding on a layout and assembling the blocks compared to some relatively easy sewing it makes no sense at all. While I was thinking this over I kept telling myself "It's just 8 easy seams!" and now that has stuck in my mind.

This UFO is a perfect example. The pieced part of this top has been sitting in my UFO Collection for about 5 years. The pattern is called "Snowball" and it's from the book "Quilts from the Heart" by Karin Renaud. Alternating snowball and 9 patch blocks are one of my favorite layouts... I think the white space and the patchwork add up to a perfect combination.
OK, so at this point the hard work is done right? Why stop just 8 easy seams short of the satisfaction of finishing the top? Sometimes working with my UFOs is like solving a complex puzzle with no apparent rhyme or reason. I guess the good thing is that I have learned how to push past some of my natural stopping points over the last 11 months.

8 easy seams later - a flimsy!
Ironically, I had just used the same white on white snowball fabric in Scrappy Chevron and had cut my leftover fabric into 2.5" strips and 5" charms. So, when I pulled this out yesterday I wasn't able to use it for the narrow inner inner border like the pattern called for. I thought about another white on white fabric but then I spotted this stripe in my stash and thought it might be an interesting option. The stripe sent me to choosing pink for the outer border and I'm going to use the stripe as binding too.
After using bright borders on my recent scrappy quilts I guess I was in a "girlie" mood. I doubt I would have went this route with a white inner border... sometimes it's kind of fun to be forced to experiment. Making quilts for Project Linus makes me happy because playing around with color is so much fun!
So many pretty fabrics - I have another set of 9 patches in my UFO Collection ready and waiting for Snowball Part II.
We had a cold front blow through late yesterday and I'm enjoying a layer of fleece this morning. It won't be a lake day today but I hear my quilting room beckoning me... or maybe a good book under a quilt instead!

16 comments:

  1. Deb, I love this quilt!and I love Karin's book -- my "go-to" for baby quilts. Looking forward to seeing how the stripe looks as binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt - some little girl will love this one. And I think the stripe is great. I always love striped bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! I agree that this pattern is versatile and has so many options. I think this is really a "serendipity quilt" ----what I call those times when I have to take a detour and find another option for finishing. I usually learn a good lesson when this happens. A striped binding will be so cute with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quilt--I have trouble finally "getting the binding" onto my projects for some reason that's when I stall...strange...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love it, so bright and fun! Some little one is going to enjoy it, the stripes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt top. The stripes and pink borders finish it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on making those 8 seams to completion. I used to dislike stripey fabric but used like you have for an inner border and/or binding this sort of fabric can be so effective.
    Modern quilting seems to be in favour of not having borders for a lot of quilts - maybe it is because others have hang ups about those last 8 seams and this was an easy solution?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first saw the quilt I didn't know what colour would be good for the borders, but I love the stripey fabric and pink fabric. It looks bright and fresh. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, this is a wonderful post about a topic I am all too familiar with! Borders slow me down every time! I like your way of thinking. And, your scrappy snowball quilt looks great with a pink border!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm.... sewing room or book/quilt.... either one sounds lovely!!! Your Snowball quilt is so fun - you know I can't resist scrappy quilts! And the inner stripe border is absolutely perfect! I had the same thing happen with a quilt. I had an inner border in mind but it ended up just not working with the quilt. I ended up with a stripe that I would never have even thought of otherwise - and the finished quilt is so much more gorgeous with that stripe than it would have been with the other choice. Love serendipity!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful quilt top! Love the bright fabrics and especially love that striped border!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome finish. Those border fabrics are perfect! Love, love, love the scrappy, colourful beauty of the top as a whole! Hope you don't mind if I share this, with a link back, on my facebook page at http://facebook.com/sewfreshquilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely quilt.

    I often stall at the point of adding the borders too but usually it's because I can't find what I think I need in the donated fabric stash pile and so I procrastinate. But you're right -- I should let the quilt and the fabric choices I make lead me in a new direction!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fab - so bright and happy. Congrats on pushing through that barrier :)

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.