Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunny Sunday Finish

It's a perfect day for outside picture taking and I'm happy to share my latest UFO Finish Bright Hopes. The pattern for this quilt is from the book "Quilts from the Heart" by Karin Renaud. Our grass is a little clumpy this time of year so it is not lying perfectly flat but the bright fabrics are shining and that's more important!
This is such a happy quilt isn't it? I love this layout and it's a good thing because I found 2 leftover blocks in a drawer so I'm only 10 blocks away from another one in 2014!
The sub units are made with partial seams but aren't hard at all and this is a great project for using up leftover 2.5" strips. I quilted it using some variegated Star thread that is a mix of royal blue, teal and purple but mostly reads as royal blue on this quilt.
I used the leftover teal wide backing fabric from Pandora's Box in Teal and chose the cool color version of the same stripe I used on Scrappy Snowball for the binding. I really like how the royal blue border works on this quilt... it's narrower than I'm used to but it adds such a nice frame to the bright blocks.
This quilt will be donated to Project Linus and is one of my October and Q4 Goal Finishes. My UFO Countdown is now in the 30's!

What I Learned:
  • Partial seams are not hard.
  • A narrow border can be effective on a scrappy quilt.
  • Keep all of your blocks for a project in one place!
October Finishes

10 comments:

  1. You chose a colorful, satisfying way to take advantage of a sunny day.
    Pretty quilt, and someone is going to have fun enjoying all the fabrics, looking at them one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt. I laughed about keeping all your blocks in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I think I have some of those same fabrics tucked away, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a sweet quilt, Deb, no doubt about it! I hope the sunshine you had today comes our way tomorrow. I had a nice sunny day, but did not take my finishes out for a photo shoot. Maybe I will get a second chance tomorrow. You are getting so much done! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt. I have the book in a pile of books I have yet to drool on. I think I might do it in homespuns for the winter. Time to get busy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect quilt for all those scrappy bits. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, partial seams shouldn't scare anyone! I love your scrappy quilt. Such a happy mix of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I love the scrappy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt. I love the way all of the colors play so well together. Using the narrow white border really frames it beautifully. I avoid partial seams like the plague. Maybe it's time for me to broaden my horizons.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.