Monday, October 7, 2013

A Monday Finish

Scrappy Snowball has made it to the Finish Line and I had a lot of fun quilting this one. This quilt is made using the pattern "Snowball" from the book "Quilts from the Heart" by Karin Renauld and it is one of many I have made from this great book! I will be donating this quilt to Project Linus.
I began by grid quilting using the edge of my walking foot along the block edges and the inside edge of the inner border using white Aurifil.
Then I decided on diagonal lines through the middle of each block so I started marking the quilting lines on the snowball blocks with my red Frixion pen. Since the 9 patch squares were 2" finished it was easy to go from corner to corner without marking.
After quilting it was off to the ironing board to remove the Frixion lines with my hot iron. It's really kind of fun to watch those red marks disappear with each press of the iron!
Next up... the outer border. I've been wanting to play around with using the serpentine stitch on my Juki F600 and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. I quilted rather dense lines using the edge of the walking foot along the border edge and the outer edge of the previous stitching line. I really like how this turned out!
9 Patches alternating with snowball blocks are one of my favorite layouts.
I've had this pink "Hollywood Star" flannel in my stash forever and I added a strip of little kitties to make it wide enough.
I've decided to add a What I Learned section to each finish post... every since my Year of Blogging anniversary in late September I've been spending a bit of time each day looking back through previous posts. Each quilt has taught me something and I want to add that to the blog while it's fresh in my memory.

What I Learned:
  • Be open minded about choosing borders. The pattern called for the white fabric which I didn't have anymore so I tried the stripe which led to the pink. And I love how the stripe adds interest and the pink calms the quilt.
  • Use the serpentine stitch again!
  • I'm gaining trust in Frixion pens which is allowing me to experiment more with quilting designs.
  • Make more quilts using this layout. LOVE it!
October Finishes

18 comments:

  1. A stripe also gives energy to the quilt. I love stripes as sashing and borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt!! The pink border is perfect, and that serpentine stitch really did work out super nicely there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt. I love the colors.
    Smiles to you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your serpentine border quilting. Congrats on another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful close up pics. Love seeing the way you quilted it. Especially love the serpentine stitch and that gorgeous stripe for the border and binding! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to make one of these snowball quilts to use up scraps. Love how it turned out. I am so envious of your quilting. No matter what foot I try or how much I pin, I still end up with tucks and puckers on the back. I know I have a lot of practicing to do.

    Lovely finish Deb.
    Joan (Quiltinana2)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing the snowball blocks with the scrappy squares is a great way to play with color. You could have gone any direction with that border and it would have looked wonderful. Lovely finish and Project Linus will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am convinced that every time I log onto my blogger dashboard, you have a finish! Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really pretty finish on this one--I especially like that border! You are fearless with that frixion pen--I'll have to try one..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty! Those colors are so bright. What a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is so fun. I love your border with attitude! I also enjoyed your "what I learned" comments. Good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute quilt...you did a great job with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frixion pens are too easy and worth the risk. I haven't had an issue though I have read some people have.

    This quilt is so cheery too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I love the stitching in the border. I've heard a lot about frixon pens, might have to try them out :) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful! I love all the bright colors and I use Frixion pens all the time. I haven't had any problem with them. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely quilt! I have a frixion pen

    ReplyDelete
  17. 2013...this is why Tuesday Archives is so much fun! We would have missed this one...well I did...LOL! Love the colorful nine patches against the white. :)V

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bright and fun quilt! I bet someone loved this quilt to pieces.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.