Shabby Strings cheerfully greeted me this morning as it is covering my quilting room floor. Yesterday I made the 8 blocks I'd decided upon for another row and am really happy with that choice. Next task was to lay them all out. These blocks came from a swap with 2 quilters and it's such a bonus to have fabrics from 3 different stashes in one quilt! I think we each have our own style in making blocks too which makes the top really interesting to look at.
The only bummer is that one set of blocks is cut smaller than 7.5". I used to do a lot of block swaps and it's almost always inevitable that this happens. In this case it's only about 1/8" with a few close to 1/4" short. I didn't want to trim ALL the blocks down and lose valuable cuddle inches on my quilt... but I'm learning that string blocks have no ease factor when sewing them together. The upside is that Mr. Juki sews these bulky blocks together like they are pieced from silk.
After sleeping on it, I've decided to continue assembling the blocks but use a slightly bigger seam allowance to make sure the seams are secure. Can't have any of those little string edges unraveling! Luckily the smaller blocks are sewn onto a non-muslin backing so I can easily identify them and try to distribute the short seam across the quilt. I'll have to bust out Mr. Super Ripper and it's going to be picky sewing but as they say...
I'm linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday@Quilter in the Closet, Fabric Tuesday@Quilt Story and Freemotion by the River.