- End the year with less than 15 UFOs/WIPs. As a person who enjoys having multiple projects to choose from this would be very comfortable for me. It could be 12 UFOs and 2 WIPs or 14 WIPs... the key thing is that I have enough variety to maintain interest but keep the projects moving along.
- Learn how to FMQ at a basic level and ENJOY it! A meander, some loops & swirls and a few other options that I can use to finish my tops would make me a happy quilter.
I've had a fair amount of internal debate about my UFO Countdown over the last month. I've gone from thinking I'd keep it going as is (counting down from 101) to thinking I'd get rid of it completely to a middle ground of starting it over as of 1/1/2014. I find it very motivating to track them on the blog and working that number down. But, I also don't want to live under the "cloud" of all of the old UFOs - they are DONE!
So, starting today my 2014 UFO Countdown is set to 43. I ended 2103 with 28 UFOs, found 2 more and carried over 13 WIPs. Obviously I am going to have to work that number down pretty aggressively AND finish most of the projects I start in 2014 to achieve goal #1.
To achieve goal #2 I am going to be using this book and some Craftsy classes as guides. Last winter when I tried to learn FMQ I kept getting stuck at the moving from practice to project stage. I really like the approach this book uses which is to start on small projects and work your way up. I have a drawer filled with Happy Blocks from years of online swapping that will be used to make up some practice quilts too.
And I might have to throw in this button now and again as a reminder... it's a learning process after all!
Since winter in Northern Minnesota is my prime quilting time I'm going to set my Q1 goals to average one UFO finish per week. I'm carrying over 4 UFOs from my 2013 Q4 list, 2 that recently were professionally quilted, 3 2013 WIPs and 4 "new" UFOs from my Collection. I'm happy with the mix of stages and techniques I'll be using on these projects.
These 13 UFOs will be on my list of goals for the Q1 Finish A Long Challenge:
1. Four Patch & Friends, 2. Minnesota Hot Dish, 3. Christmas Strings, 4. Blue & Yellow Strings, 5. Warm 16 Patches, 6. Charmed Pinwheels, 7. Autumn Log Cabin, 8. TB Path & Stiles, 9. Strip Stacks in Blue & Brown, 10. Scrappy Strip Stacks, 11. Picnic In Serenade, 12. Bouncing Balls II, 13. Hugs & Kisses
My January goal for A Year of Lovely Finishes will be to bind and label Four Patch & Friends which is in the middle of my mosaic.
I posted last month HERE about my NewFO plans for 2014 including my Sewing for the Seasons theme so I'm not going to repeat them again. So as far as January Goals go this is what I'm thinking:
- Finish UFO#1 - Four Patch & Friends
- Finish UFO#2 - Minnesota Hot Dish
- Finish UFO#3 - Christmas Strings
- Finish UFO#4 - Blue & Yellow Strings
- Finish UFO#5 - Charmed Pinwheels
- RSC14 Blocks
- Winter NewFO
- Valentine's Day NewFO
- Threadbias Pillow PoP SAL
- FMQ Project
That seems like enough to keep me busy and warm in my quilting room! Also - I am having lots of formatting issues with Blogger today so please ignore the odd indents and extra lines.