Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Design Wall Tuesday

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling some flu-like symptoms so I left my sewing behind to lie down for awhile. After a nap I felt a little better and by the evening I felt good enough to head downstairs to catch up on my abandoned blocks.

I showed this picture in my January in Review mosaic but haven't blogged about my progress on Path and Stiles. Late last week I finished assembling 10 blocks and since these are 14" blocks I'm only going to need 20 for a lap quilt.
My goal yesterday was to make the other 10. I wanted to assemble these so I can clear off my design wall and start laying out my Valentine's Plus quilt. When I turned off the lights about 11:30 last night I was one block away. Here is a photo from this morning - sorry about the washed out colors - but you can see I'm almost there.
I like to take pictures before I start assembling blocks because I have been known to mix things up a bit. Before I had my design wall it would also help me to take one last look and catch things that my eye seems to miss.
On this project I would call my method "thoughtfully scrappy" meaning that I am trying to spread the dominant colors evenly throughout the top, keep good contrast between adjoining block segments and not have like fabrics touch each other. Whoops!

I am a sew by daylight person... since my quilting room has south and west exposure the afternoons are my prime sewing time and I am totally spoiled by great light. The reflected light off the snow butted up to my windows is amazing even on a cloudy day. When the sun goes down I usually read or do hand sewing under my OTTLite. Aside from anticipating spring I love that our days are getting longer now.

After an unpick to swap one of these parts elsewhere I'll be ready for assembly. These big blocks will go together quickly and it will be time to bring on the pinks, reds and whites. While I love these cozy Thimbleberries fabrics I'm ready for some happy Valentine's prints to cover my wall!

I'm linking up to Freemotion by the River and Building Blocks Tuesday@Quilter in the Closet.

14 comments:

  1. Scrappy quilts are my favorite. They are the cuddliest ones :) Can't wait to see your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how these blocks look so different with sashing. I had to really look to see if they were the same as my blocks. Hope you are all mended and the nap sent the flu on it's merry way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary B here:
    This looks great! This is a wonderful pattern, I like it. Great colors.
    I hope you are feeling better today.
    I did get the flu shot back in October, along my mom and dad, at the local pharmacy.
    So far, I have been healthy, but this week I have a mild headache that keeps reappearing, and swollen neck glands. So, I am taking it easy too. I hear the flu is running rampant in Northern Virginia. Perhaps I have a touch of it, as the flu shot does not eliminate the flu.
    I hope you are feeling very good today. as an olden nurse, I have to add: keep hydrating :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing with my camera - it really is amazing how you can "see" something in the photo that you don't with the eye. Sometimes I've even changed the picture to grey scale so I can look at contrast better. This will be a warm and cozy looking quilt.

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabrics and block pattern are so appealing. Very comforting this quilt will be :-)
    Hope you keep feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a deliciously scrappy quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your scrappy quilt! May I ask what size are you making your half sq. triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this scrappy top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! This one really makes you stop and look at it. Gotta love those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great blocks/top. You really know how to keep moving along on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a warm and lovely quilt project Deb! This will be a favorite :) I like to take photos of my blocks before assembly too. I always get them mixed up and have to check back to make sure I get them where I want them :) Plus, the photo often shows up a boo-boo before I put them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see lots of progress even though you not been feeling well. It is looking good. I agree about taking photos. It is like having another person looking at a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.