Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Q1 Wrap Up and Q2 Goals

she can quilt
I joined Leanne's Finish-A-Long this year because she uses a quarterly goal setting period which worked so well for me when I started quilting again last fall. Selecting a group of UFOs for each quarter really works for me, I think it helps me to let go of the guilt associated with ALL of my UFOs and, at the same time, gives me enough choices to keep me interested & motivated. I don't think I'll ever be a Start-to-Finish Quilter. I really enjoy having multiple projects at different stages to choose from when I go into my quilting room.

I picked 28 UFOs from my Collection for Q1 and finished 21 of them. I'm not going to put you to sleep show them all but you can read about them HERE on my Q1 2013 UFO Progress Page. Instead I'll talk about my favorite finish - Shabby Heart - which I blogged about HERE.

The pattern for this quilt is called "Heather's Lacy Heart" from the book "Quick & Easy Romantic Quilts". It measures 53" by 57" and is made from Robyn Pandolph fabrics except for the heart/binding fabric which is from Blackbird Designs. I started this quilt in 2007 and it was professionally quilted in December 2012.
This quilt has some of my all-time favorite fabrics in it and I love the quilting.
These flower vases on the backing fabric are so detailed. It's truly gorgeous from both sides! 


Winter in Minnesota is Quilting Prime Time. My plan was to get ahead of my goal for 52 UFO finishes in 2013 so I can play in the summer. Now that I've done that, my Q2 goals are simple - finish a UFO a week. I've picked 13 of them, 7 are carried over from Q1 and 6 new UFOs that you can read more about HERE or by clicking the Q2 2013 UFO Progress Tab at the top of my blog.

This week I'm working on Bright Blue Strings. I'll be quilting it with polar fleece for one step batting & backing. I use this method for all of my Project Linus string quilts as I think it gives the muslin backed string top the perfect cuddle factor without adding extra weight. 
Here's to having 43 UFOs left in my Collection at the end of Q2 by finishing 13! If I could finish the year with less than 20 UFOs I would be absolutely over the moon thrilled!!

7 comments:

  1. Your Lacy heart is very pretty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a string quilt going too. The blocks are done and just need to be set together. When you use the polar fleece on the back, do you prewash it? Do you do regular binding on it. This might be an option if I quilt it myself. Or I can send the top to a Heartstrings group to quilt or tie like I did the last one.

    The heart quilt is so pretty - very romantic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heart pattern is so wonderful! Simple but stunning! That backing perfectly suits the Victorian feel, as does the quilting stitches. Have bookmarked this post for the future!! Hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That heart quilt is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love your string quilt! It is so bright and cheerful! I have never thought of using fleece as a backing and batting before, totally brilliant! I love the heart too - it is just lovely! Good luck on your goal of one UFO a month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, you have finished a crazy amount of quilting, it is wonderful to see all your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a good job with my quilt pattern : ) Sandy

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.