Sunday, October 14, 2012

UFO Sunday - Quilting & Binding

No piecing today... I'm getting tough and going after my least favorite parts of quilting which are making the quilt sandwich and the quilting itself. Actually I'm not getting THAT tough because I picked my smallest project to start with. Start small and work up from there, right?
I used June Tailor basting spray. Fast and easy! I'm using Warm & Natural batting and white cotton for the backing. My kitchen has a nice open counter at one end, so I put down a plastic tablecloth from the Dollar Store and sprayed away.
Originally I planned to stitch in the ditch, but I've been getting inspired following  31 Days of Walking Foot Quilting@Petite Design Co. so I did an easy grid using the edge of my normal machine foot along the main seams. It only took me about 45 minutes and was actually kind of fun!
Then it was time to bind and watch football. I finished 2 sides of my Yellow Brick Road quilt watching the Vikings lose to the Redskins and hope to finish the other 2 during the Packers-Texans game tonight. This will be a cuddle quilt for our master bedroom.

I'm linking up to UFO Sunday@The Free Motion Quilting Project and Sew Darn Crafty@Sew Many Ways.

9 comments:

  1. I love the color theme on your yellow brick road quilt. Way to go on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Halloween table topper in particular. Nice quilting--"acrobatics" are not always necessary for a great finished effect! I tried to bind a quilt and watch TV earlier today, and it slowed me down tremendously. Perhaps football would be easier since you don't have to have your eyes on the TV as consistently?? Oh well, once the show was over, I made up some time! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're really brave to attack that part that you like the least! (I have 9 tops hanging in the closet that need layering and quilting too!) love your halloween table topper! And kudos for finishing your UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! it looks fabulous. It looks so much more awesome than SID would have looked, but not really any harder. I'm glad you tried it out because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the grid quilting and the way you tackled your UFO's. We sure can get hung up on our less than favorite steps in making a quilt. I actually like hand stitching bindings. I've always like the Yellow Brick Road pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the table topper. I see so many neat ones but have never made one for myself.

    Do you find the basting spray to be cost effective and work well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have to agree with you in that I am happy to piece lots of tops but really have to make myself do the sandwich and the quilting. Good choice starting small. that's a lovely table topper for Fall. Great idea for stitching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your halloween table topper looks great and love the grid quilting too! Great colour scheme for the yellow brick road and your FMQ looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pumpkins- such fun fabric! And the grid quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.