Friday, February 15, 2013

New Techniques on NewFOs

Yesterday was a fun adventure in my quilting room as I challenged myself with all things NEW. Enlarging a pattern, freezer paper, reverse applique and a zip bag! All while fighting a cold, I actually think being so absorbed in figuring things out was a helpful distraction to feeling so crummy.

And I have two NewFO Finishes! First up is my Triple Zip Pouch from Debbie's wonderful tutorial at A Quilter's Table which was my January NewFO project. I can't say that this is my first experience with zippers as I learned to sew making clothing in high school, but that was a few years back so it's a close first. I was a bit nervous about it but they went in easily.
The bottom print is from Timeless Treasures, then a bit of Pearl Bracelets and the top and lining fabric is from the Parisville line. Zippers are from Zip-it and I have to say that their fun colors make this bag! Here is a peek at the 3 compartments in the bag.
And the back. After I picked out my fabrics I read on other blogs about directional fabrics being upside down for the back so I attempted to seam my main fabric. But, I didn't take into account that the top zipper lies flat so my calculation was off which is why you can see my seam on the bottom front. Next time I'll move the seam about 3/8" further towards the back. Sew and Learn!
NewFO #2 is my Sew Along at Threadbias February project - a Reverse Applique Heart Pillow. I'm going to show you the pillow first and then some of the details of how it was made. The pattern is from the book "Pretty in Patchwork: Holidays" by John Adams. It's a good sized pillow and mine needs a plumper 18" pillow form to fill it out. February's NewFO is done - click the button on my sidebar to read more about the NewFO Challenge.
I quilted the patchwork yesterday and embarked on a DIY Enlargement Project as the pattern in the book needed to be enlarged 400%. My closest copy store is an hour each way and nursing this cold all week hasn't made me anxious for a road trip. So I scanned the pattern and printed it, enlarged it by 200% and printed it and then by 300%. You can see that the side edges went off page. Then I laid them on top of each other and taped them to my window light box with a bright sunny day to make it easier.
I dug around in the kitchen for a roll of freezer paper, taped it over the top and using the spacing between the other sizes as a guide drew my heart.  I'm terrible at free hand drawing... and I wanted my heart sides to be balanced. This method worked great!
Next I cut out the heart and laid the frame on top of my patchwork just to make sure it looked okay. The heart shape was then ironed to my grey Moda Bella background fabric and sandwiched on top of the quilted patchwork.
I sewed along the edge of the heart and then did two more lines of stitching close to the first.
This part was a bit scary. It was wonderful seeing the patchwork peek through, but I was quite worried about cutting something I didn't want to with my sharp little scissors. I must admit to holding my breath until it was done!
I love this Reverse Applique technique and look forward to doing it again. I'm linking up to TGIFFCan I Get a Whoop Whoop, Finish It Up FridayFind A Friend Friday and Link a Finish Friday.

February Finishes
One last linkup for all of the NEW in this post!

29 comments:

  1. that little triple zip bag is so cute with the purple zippers -- I am still working on the courage to do this one. Love that main fabric you put on the back. Your reverse applique is also amazing -- I might be trying that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag fabric....and it turned out great. I use my big window too for a light box....I never have to put it away! Your heart turned out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute heart pillow! I love it! I need to make things for Valentine's Day... someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pouch and your heart cushion is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric on your pouch, so perfect! The heart pillow is beautiful, too. I might have to try making one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All around great finishes. Love the zip pouch, and I am a freezer paper advocate, so way to go there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving these projects, Deb!
    Two zips in one little pouch=awesome!!
    And the reverse applique w/patchwork=2 thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing how you made the pillow! Cute. Fun zip pouch too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable triple zip and valentine's day pillow! i'm such a fan of reverse applique but don't use it often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these! The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deb!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I love the way your heart pillow turned out. I might just have to try and make one for myself!

    Have a great weekend :)

    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love BOTH of your new projects!!! I saw the triple-zip bag and decided I want to make one of those too - it looks like a lot of fun to do and would be great for little sewing notions :*) And your heart is wonderful! I've been meaning to try reverse applique - now I'm determined!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fabric you used in the main pocket of the triple zipper pouch - you did a great job on the coordinating fabric as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pillow. I must try your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen others making the little bag. really cute.
    I just love your heart pillow. thanks for sharing how you did the reverse applique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your reverse applique! Thanks for sharing how you did it! I was looking to make a quicky Valentine gift and considered something like this, but ended up making coasters. Less thought! I should do this now while it's fresh and be ready for next year! Thanks for sharing!

    Your directional fabric triple zip looks great! Glad to see other people trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. two fantastic projects! Well done for tackling something new!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great projects! I haven't tried reverse applique, but I would like to. Nice job, and I love all the pinks and reds in your heart. Thanks for linking up today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your reverse applique project turned out beautifully!
    Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lot of lovely projects - way to go on the 3-zip bag!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great projects, I think I am a little think today. Can you see the red stitching on the pillow, or did you somehow turn it so the stitching does not show. I would love to make this pillow. XX Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Golly just read the note I sent you and I must be really slow today. It was suppose to read, I think I am a little slow today. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this - it's so pretty and thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That bag is so cute! Lots of people are making bags lately. Guess I need to make a few! I have only recently seen reverse applique and it looks interesting. Your heart project came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that zipper pouch and the pillow. I've never done zippers yet. I never learned how to sew (self taught quilter), so, zippers scare me.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.