Friday, October 4, 2013

1st Finish of Q4

I just love starting the first Friday of the month (and the quarter) with a FINISH! Mod Art jumped into the quilting queue in front of Thimbleberries Jacob's Ladder this week because the weather has turned gloomy and I needed a lift. Good choice right?
I'm getting ready for a Project Linus drop off so I put this one into the wash pile... I guess I have a habit of taking pictures right after the quilts are done for the blog (sometimes minutes after!). I am a big fan of the texture quilts get after they are washed. And of course I don't want to send any extra Tucker fluff to kids in the hospital so I wash my donation quilts with a few Color Catchers, roll them up and store them in a plastic bag to keep them clean.
I quilted this using white Aurifil to let the colors of these charms pop. I just love the mix of brights against the black & white prints in this quilt!  This is a good example of a UFO improving with age... had I not seen so many pretty projects with black & white fabrics in the last year I'd have never ended up with this.
I had the perfect backing for this top in my stash... this crazy print I bought a few yards of on year end clearance from eQuilter. Hearts & peace signs on a zebra background = fun backing for a fun quilt.
Meanwhile Tucker is wondering who wouldn't want some fluff as he power naps through these grey days.
And, a sneak peek at something new - I finally splurged on a new Martelli cutting mat! I'll share more on Sunday as there are also some fabrics hiding under the books. It was shipped folded over which made me cringe but it has flattened out nicely and I can't wait to use it.
I'm also linking up to TGIFF@QuokkaquiltsCan I Get a Whoop Whoop@Confessions of a Fabric AddictLink A Finish Friday@Richard and Tanya QuiltsNeedle & Thread Thursday@My Quilt Infatuation and Finish it Friday@Crazy Mom Quilts.
October Finishes

20 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Yes, that is a very bright, happy quilt, perfect for giving you and the receiver a nice lift!!! I love the pop of color in the blacks & whites - my favorite color combination :*) Great finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect Project Linus quilt!!! LOVE IT!! Very playful! I also added I Quilt to my linky reference list...thanks for sharing that link up! I'm off to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely a great choice for a mood lifter! The colors are so happy, and the pattern is simple, yet beautiful!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mod Art is very pretty! Great job,
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheery for sure and quilting for charity always makes me feel good. I haven't even set my Q4 goals yet, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the quilt and you are right about needing something bright and cheery to work on when the weather is grey.

    And I had to laugh about the stacks of books to weight down your new cutting mat. I have the same mat, and had to stack some books on it after leaving it in my car following a guild sewing day. It had a little curve in it, but the books took care of it. Interesting to see what other people read. I've been working through the Prey books too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely donation quilt--someone will be estatic--kudos to you hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,the colour in your Beautiful quilts!!Hugs Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job.
    the mat was folded. eeecckkk! I would have been cringing too. Glad it is flattening out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Perfect choice for gloomy weather work. :) Wow - that's so bizarre that they'd fold the mat over. Glad it's flattened out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this little quilt Deb! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool fabrics. Love the contrast with the black.
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty kitty, and he looks so comfortable there.
    Love you're fabric choices. The quilt is gorgeous
    Smiles to you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, you finished and it's beautiful! Mine is a top now, need to find a backing. Thanks for inspiration, hope it's ok to link back here when my top is posted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! A finish already! I haven't even compiled my list ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours...ooooh the COLOURS are so fun!!!! This is one extra special quilt xx.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a gorgeous quilt!!!! :) Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this quilt. Love how those bright, busy and seemingly mismatched prints play together well. I also love that you used another busy-ish print for sashing, my first inclination would have been to go for solid or tone-on-tone. The white with colourful dots work perfectly. Same for the two different black prints. It's simple, yet daring, and it works. And you are right that the back is perfect. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely quilt. I love how the colors of all those fabrics mix between the well chosen fabrics of the sashing! Well done and congrats with your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely, lovely quilt!

    Okay, I'll bite, is there another way to ship fabric other than fold it? I've never bought fabric online so I can ask the "stupid" question!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.