Wednesday, July 17, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Mid Month Edition

July 17th... yikes. Let's double down and do a mid month check on my July goals for extra motivation (I think I need a plan)!

July Goals:

1-UFO#1
2-UFO#2
3-UFO#3
4-UFO#4

I've got 4 UFOs pulled for July. I'm waiting for extra wide muslin I ordered from JoAnn.com to back my Thimbleberries Jacobs Ladder quilt which should be here by the end of the week. Wall quilt means muslin backing in my book! I'm planning to walking foot quilt along the diagonal ladders and then add some diamonds in the middle of the blocks, but I'm not sure what to do in the borders yet. Ideas anyone?
We have a new baby in the extended family who was born last week and this little UFO will be for him. I finished assembling the top yesterday and have coordinating backing/binding ready to go. I'm thinking about quilting it with the serpentine stitch on my Juki F600 to change things up.
And, since his "big" little brother hasn't received a quilt from me because he was born during my 3 year quilting hiatus I've decided to finish this ABC Charm quilt for him. The charms are from a swap on the HGTV Quilting Forum.
Last night I was trying to decide what to do about borders and had pulled out several fabrics to audition. Then as I was flipping through a 2003 quilting magazine that has the pattern for one of my other Q3 UFOs I found an easy solution. I'm just going to do a border round of the sashing with cornerstones... problem solved! I think the B&W polka dot binding will look great.


UFO#4 will be one of these charm quilts. Guess Mr. Juki will be getting a quilting workout soon!


5-NewFO Project

It looks like a 2 NewFO month as I just can't resist either of these Quilt A Long projects.  July's Schnibble is "Lincoln" - I already have the pattern, love it and found the perfect charm packs in my stash to make a patriotic version - Democracy by Sandy Gervais.
I've been pretty much MIA on the Threadbias Pretty in Patchwork QAL but the July project is one of my favorites in the book so I'm all in. I've always wanted to do a Maple Leaf quilt and I just love this modern layout. Not to mention that I have a file box FULL of lovely fall prints and I'm only 2 UFO Finishes away from a UFO Reward Quilt! I'm ordering the background solid today (Moda Bella Natural) and by the time it arrives I should be "legal" to get started.
6-And Sew On Blocks - getting started this weekend
7-RSC13 Blocks - underway for Saturday's link-up
8-Finish 1 WIP - this will be my Gentle Art Schnibble from May. 

9-Design Wall Up
10-Pound Some Nails

I'm planning for a big month end "reveal" post of my quilting room with enhancements. I might even have to start calling it my studio!

So... full steam ahead on July goals. Sometimes the hardest part for me is making decisions - now that I have a plan it's time to sew. I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday@Freshly Pieced.

7 comments:

  1. All I can say is, "WOW!" Your UFO's are amazing! And your NewFO Project.... Loving it and the fabric you have picked out for it! And I am not even an American! Ha, ha! But you made up for it in your next UFO - The Maple Leaf!

    Your choice of border round of the sashing with cornerstones for the big brother's quilt and B&W polka dot binding is a great solution for a finish.

    Yes, your Juki will be busy with all that quilting coming up! Thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed seeing all your projects!

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Deb, each and every project you choose to make is so pretty! You have a flare for matching fabrics and patterns. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plans for simple quilting on the UFOs really served to remind that that simple is OK. Cute quilts, every one of them.

    Your fabric choice for the patriotic Lincoln quilt - love it. Red, white, and blue is one of my favorite combinations. I have a chunk of fabric with flags and Mt Rushmore on it that I would share if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot of wonderful projects you are showing. That dog fabric on the baby quilt is just too adorable. I think your border idea of finishing off the sashing is a great plan too. Have fun with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so much going on! Good luck getting it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I LOVE all your projects. Can't really choose a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lots of variety. I am with you, muslin for backing on wall hangings.
    Go ahead and call your sewing room your studio. I think it is worthy to be called a studio.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.