Here's a shot of about 2/3's of the tree skirt where you can see the overall quilting pretty well. I used cream Aurifil to outline everything that touches the background fabric. That really gave my presser lift a big workout. I have to say that needle down is one of best features ever invented!
I used dark green Gutermann thread to outline each section of the trios of trees.
Next were the stars where I used gold Gutermann thread to outline the middle squares.
Finally, the tree trunks were done with a gorgeous Sulky brown thread. It really pops!
I thought I would show you my setup for machine quilting. My machine is on a wheeled table so I can move it out into the middle of the room and spread out. Behind it you see a 6 foot folding table I bought at Walmart. I store it in the garage and bring it in when needed. I also use it for basting quilts. You can see my leader-ender project in the bins underneath my plexiglass table.
I adore my Pfaff. She has been a pleasure to piece on for over 10 years. She has a major flaw though when it comes to machine quilting. Her throat is tiny. Not so much the width (about 6.5") but the height and the tight arch. To make it worse, the presser foot lever is jammed up in there too. I really have to be careful and plan ahead to make it work. This tree skirt is only 48" square but it was a total wrestling match for the first session. I worry about breaking that lever! Also, the buttons on the lower right to change the stitches are very easily bumped while I'm busy cramming the quilt through. I try to check the display before I start stitching to make sure it's right, but of course there are times where I get distracted and forget.
Back to my tree skirt... when I brought it out to the spot where our tree will be Tucker got a quick loll about on it. Then he started chewing the loose threads on the edges so I had to put it away.