Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Busy Day of Quilting

I spent most of my quilting time today creating a pieced quilt backing.  I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought the yardage but I was way short!  Thank goodness I had all of the left over fabric pieces, a few fat quarters that weren't used in the quilt and one 1/2 yard of the same fabric line I found in my stash which saved me from total despair.  For a lap quilt I really like to have a coordinated backing otherwise I'd have given up mid day. I was intending to take pictures but I got so frazzled I totally forgot before I sealed up the box containing 2 of my lap sized UFOs. I'll be sure to post pictures when they come back from my LAQ - those are the best packages ever!!

I also pulled a table runner out of my UFO collection and did my favorite grid quilting pattern. I'll be trimming it and sewing on the binding tonight. I figure I can do the hand sewing during the football games tomorrow and then leave it with my Mother-in-Law for a hostess gift.  She is not a quilter but loves decorating her table and appreciates a hand made gift.
The pattern is Little Charmers II by Anka's Treasures and I used a charm pack of Dominique by Moda.  It's really elegant looking.  I'm guessing around 2007 for this project start.
I splurged on the pretty toile backing fabric and the binding fabric is small cabbage roses on brown so it can be reversed for a more neutral look.
My Santa project is on hold as I decided my only suitable black tone on tone in my stash had such a horrible feel I just couldn't use it. I'll cut it up for string quilts when I clear out my scrap bin. If you've never shopped at Thousands of Bolts you should give it a try. Great prices, fast service and lots of beautiful fabrics. You can pop up a 2" scan of all fabrics so it's easy to check the pattern scale. I've never been disappointed with my (many) purchases over the years. I'll be expecting some black tone on tones and other goodies in my mailbox next week.

I'm wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I'm grateful for so many things and looking forward to family gatherings over the next 3 days.  Then, it will be a mad quilting/decorating/shopping rush before Christmas!  Notice how the quilting comes first ;-).

5 comments:

  1. Love it can't wait to see it complete. I love the colors. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed visiting you. My 1st wip is up! Come and see me. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't Moda fabrics the best? Your runner is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Deb. I'm sure your MIL is going to be thrilled. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you and your family a fabulous Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story about the runner! Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave me one. I try to respond to all comments except during big giveaways.

I have had to turn off anonymous comments for now due to a sudden increase in spam. Please send me an email instead and I will respond to you.