My starter set of fabrics for this quilt is a set of 11 FQs of an early Sandy Gervais line that I won in a giveaway years ago. It is a really nice mix of fun prints but the range of colors is quite limited with 6 medium value prints, 4 darks and only 1 light.
So I turned to my stash in search of some variety and some much needed lights! I wanted to use the chocolates print so I added the brown polka dot and the Eiffel tower print to support the brown tones. I couldn't have a Valentine's Day quilt without a little Robyn Pandolph so I added the mini roses print on red.Then I hooked up my iPhone to my speakers, turned on my audiobook and started in. 16 rows across and 19 rows down needed to be filled.
You can tell by the empty spots that I'm going to be cutting some more lights. 14 more squares from 4 of my light fabrics. Look at what I have left on my cutting table - lots of mediums and a few dark squares. Since my mediums are all basically the same shade of pink they didn't play very together in this layout.
Yesterday I was talking with Sara who blogs at My Sewing Room via email and she mentioned using a black & white photo image to check value. I used to do this while exploring watercolor quilting techniques years ago. What perfect timing - thanks Sara for the tip!
I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday@Freshly Pieced and Fabric Frenzy Friday@Fort Worth Fabric Studio.